Hey guys! Today I have a guest post for ya! Cory is a crafty momma who grew up in my hood! She is super cute and creative and has the cutest lil guy, seriously, look at those cheeks!! She sent me some pics and a tutorial for this genius (and super cute!) wreath and I just have to share it with you! Here it is..
My new year resolution for 2014 is to be more crafty and DIY and to also increase my “Made in USA” purchases. So far, I’m doing pretty well with both! I’ve made soap dispensers from old Mason jars, I made two Christmas stockings (2 more to go!), and created some art for our bedroom; this project called for cork trivets but the only cork I could find was made in China so I improvised and used cardboard cut-outs from diaper boxes.
I’ve been seeing so many beautiful and fun wreaths online and in the craft stores and wanted to make one for every season and holiday. I wish I had that kind of time! I thought there had to be a way to create a simple wreath with elements that could be changed up throughout the year. So here is what I came up with.
I bought a 12” foam wreath form at JoAnn. *Bonus* It was made in the USA. 1 yard of black and white chevron fabric. I figured this would be a good base to use throughout the year. 1/2 a yard of green fabric for St. Patty’s Day (also made in USA!). Depending on how many flowers you make, 1 or 2 fat quarters should be plenty. I always buy more fabric than I need because who knows what else you can use it for. I also used some white muslin and a green striped fabric that was leftover from my Christmas stockings. I also bought one sheet of white felt and 1/2 a yard of velcro with the sticky backing.
I cut three strips of the chevron fabric (my picture shows four but I ended up only using three). Each strip measured 39” x 3”. I sewed each strip together so I ended up with one long 117” strip. I’m sure you could use less, but I wanted to wrap my wreath pretty tight.
You could leave your edges raw or finish them on the sewing machine, but I decided to use pinking shears. I think the zig zag pattern looks neat with the chevron fabric.
In case I ever want to change the chevron fabric, I only used pins and velcro on the wreath. I pinned one end of the strip and wrapped it all the way around and pinned the end. To make the flowers, I used the tutorial on the thinkingcloset.com
I used three fabrics instead of two in order to help break up all the patterns. I also made mine a little bigger. I traced the inside of a wide-mouth mason jar lid for the fabric and a circle about half that size for the felt (mine happened to be the lid for a baby bottle). I also used my pinking shears again.
Next I mapped out where I wanted my flowers and used a few small pieces of the velcro to secure them. I also picked up a wooden “W” while I was at JoAnn, hot glued some twine we had laying around to the back, then pinned the twine to the back of the wreath.
My wreath was a little too fat to fit on my hanger so I cut another strip of 14 x 3 fabric wrapped it around the top of the wreath and cut a small slit for the hanger to fit through.
Ta-Da! I love the way it came out and that it was pretty easy as well! Now for Easter all I have to do is to buy a few fat quarters, make the flowers, and stick them on the wreath with a piece of velcro! This will save me loads of time and money! Both of which I can spend on my next project, or I could finally finish those Christmas stockings.
Cute right! I have a wreath for every holiday, I wish I would have known of this idea a few years ago!! I could have saved so much time and money! Thanks so much Cory! I can’t wait to see the wreath throughout the year! Also, I love that she is trying to buy more USA materials too. What a great gal!! Next time we are both back in the Yo we will have to craft together, and grab a schooner!!
Thanks for stopping by,